[DeTomaso] Bulkhead reduction kit pics

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Apr 18 03:25:08 EDT 2011

In a message dated 4/17/11 21 26 5, kre at adelphia.net writes:

> With all of the kits sold since 1992, I have
> never had or heard of the water pump diving Top Cog 15260 fitted belt
> failing and know of 5 cars locally---starting in 91 that are still running
> the same belt. It has been proven to work over many years so IMHO you do
> not
> need to spend more $$$ to fix something that is not broken. Let me assure
> everyone if this was an issue at all, I would have addressed it along time
> ago. I do not put out parts that might work----maybe----if you totally
> rebuild them---nor will I ever. Mike---if this sounds snappy, it is not
> meant to be---typing thoughts that come much faster than my hands can push
> the keys makes me go direct to the point.
>

>>>No problem here!   I did say originally that I thought it was a
theoretical problem, and further went on to say:

 (Having said that, I haven't actually heard of a single failure from
anybody using Kirk's low-tech solution.  As long as you use his belt, and it
doesn't ever break or wear out, it seems to work fine.  But I prefer the
belt-and-suspenders method of an idler pulley).

>>>The critical issue is the use of a specific belt--not just a specific
size, but a specific brand in that size.   You told me production variances
mean that other brands in that size may or may not work properly.   What
happens if it breaks and you can't get another one of that specific brand and
size?   An idler pulley alleviates all such concerns, because a ton of
different belts (different lengths/different manufacturers) will all work equally
well.

Admittedly, the cheap solution would be to just carry a spare, specific
belt.