[DeTomaso] Fw: Re: Stripped bolt hole

B Hower b.hower3400 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 11 13:22:39 EDT 2011

I like the Keen-Sert brand solid insert which has tabs that are at the outer edge of the thing. After it is threaded into position the tabs still protrude outward and are driven in along side of insert, locking the insert so that it can not turn out of the threads.

When I was in the semiconductor industry ( field service ), we used S.S. Keen-serts in phenolic material and aluminum with great success. In this application screws were threaded into the inserts several times a shift.

An advantage to Heli-coil is you don't need to over size the original hole as much --- which can allow use where a solid oversize hole would bust out of edge of material.

Just another option -------- the last inserts I installed were Heli-coil ( in 351C header location ).

IMHO they all have their place.

Bud #3400 (The 7 Banger)