[DeTomaso] Fun w/ brakes and questions

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Apr 12 14:04:36 EDT 2011

In a message dated 4/12/11 7:48:44 AM, chance.dorsey at yahoo.com writes:

> I split mine in half also when I rebuilt them and replaced the fasterners
> holding the two halves together.  However, at the time, none of the
> vendors carried the rubber seal that goes between the two halves.  Does anyone
> know if any of the vendors carry this seal now?

Don't think so but you could call a few. Resealing caliper halves can be
iffy, which is why Porsche for instance recommends NEVER splitting their
calipers. What you'll need to do is carefully measure the tiny o-ring, then look
in McMasters-Carr for a brake-fluid-resistent o-ring of the correct size &
cross-section. I'd try to find Viton flurocarbon o-rings if I was in this
situation. You'll also have to guess at the torque on the bolts holding the
cast-iron halves together. IMHO the gains in convenience from splitting
calipers don't match the extra trouble rassembling. Thats why I don't recommend it.
Please thoroughly test the assembly at low speeds before going fast. Good
luck, Chance-J Deryke