[DeTomaso] OBX Mufflers

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Apr 7 14:46:22 EDT 2011

In a message dated 4/7/11 12:46:09 AM, pantera874 at t-online.de writes:

> May be it is good, that they are no more avaiable. I have never seen an
> aftermarket muffler on a Pantera, that really fitted. Those mufflers are
> ugly looking things. The silencers stick out of the rear panel.

Agreed- from their appearance they were cheap stainless-case glass-paks
welded to a half-loop inlet, and likely wouldn't have 'silenced' very long
before the fiberglas packing blew out the back. A couple of Nor-Cal Pantera
owners had the same design a decade ago using motorcycle Supertrapps on
identical loops to create stock-looking quad outlets. Supertrapps don't blow out and
are tune-able to some extent for noise/power by adding/subtracting discs.
You're right- practically no aftermarket mufflers fit a Pantera or Mangusta
without mods, but the mods are often only a simple shortening or
recontouring of the exhaust pipes connecting the headers to the mufflers. Mufflers
that actually 'muffle' without strangling the engine are a complex project I'm
working on right now. Maybe it'll be of interest - J Deryke