[DeTomaso] Original Campy molds

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Sep 29 13:33:26 EDT 2010

In a message dated 9/29/10 9 14 28, fresnofinches at aol.com writes:

> This guy: http://tinyurl.com/Cesare-Magistrali
>
> supposedly has ALL the Campy De Tomaso molds.
>
> He says he is casting GR4 and GT5 wheels in October
>
> See his post on the new De Tomaso Heritage website:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/Campy-Molds
>
> Pat Halls (Candy)  posted to the PI forum with a positive post for Cesare.
>

>>Cesare first contacted me about a year ago, tremendously excited, as he
had found the original De Tomaso wheel molds and was hoping to gain
possession of all of them.   I guess he heard about me being the Campagnolo Wheel
Dork Of All Dorks, and asked for help in identifying what each of the molds
was.   He was also seeking advice on which ones would be commercially viable to
put back into production.

I told him the Gr4 wheels (particularly the 15x14 wheels which were not
used on the GT5 or GT5-S but only on the Gr4 race cars) were especially
valuable, although there was a small market for them.   I also told him that the
15x10 Ghia Sport 5000 wheels, which are basically 10-inch Mangusta wheels,
would be especially desirable to a very small number of people.   As he is
going to be producing these wheels essentially by hand, small markets with big
prices is what he is after.

He also had some fascinating oddities, including the wheels which were cast
up and ONLY used on the single Deauville prototype (apparently); production
Deauvilles and Longchamps shared a 15x7 wheel (he also has the mold for
that).

He shared with me some photos of the other magnesium casting work he does.
 He does a LOT of Abarth parts--sumps, valve covers, intake manifolds, etc.
etc. all in magnesium, using the original molds.

And his enthusiasm comes through big-time in his e-mails--you can
practically see him jumping up and down with excitement as he's typing! :>)