[DeTomaso] Stock Flywheel Question- Lesson on Ford numbers!!!

steven.liebenow at att.net steven.liebenow at att.net
Tue Sep 21 19:56:52 EDT 2010

Sean,

If you are worried about bolts.....the ONLY ones I would get too excited about
would be the actual flywheel bolts, and the clutch pressure plate bolts.   I
think many of the books have recommended replacing these every time.......but I
have reused flywheel bolts many times on my street car with no issues yet, but
it lives under 6K rpm's always.......  The pressure plate bolts are much smaller
and could be argued have more pressure on them...with lots of cycling.....and
should be replaced every time....

If I find that the lock washers have self destructed, I replace the bolts &
washers.  Otherwise, they could get re-used also!!!!

You did good by bailing out of that machine shop!!!  Bubble balance?
Really?????    The only way I have ever heard of a balance job being performed
was on a rotating setup...used for balancing crankshafts......    Not that a
bubble balance couldn't tell you if are properly balanced by putting 28.2 oz of
weight exactly opposite the counterweight on the front of the flywheel......but
machining a flywheel on the rear surface, where you take an equal amount of
metal off the entire circular face....shouldn't affect this imbalance figure,
save for some minute amount caused by molecular density variances...reeeeeaally
small amount that would have very little effect!!!!!

Steve