[DeTomaso] 1972 detomaso pantera cooling system

David & Marilyn Bell davidabell at worldnet.att.net
Wed Sep 8 00:07:06 EDT 2010

The water pump has two intake (suction) ports; the large one (1-1/2") is
cooled water that has just exited the radiator while the smaller (5/8")
comes from the heater core.  Coolant is pulled from those two sources and
pumped into the block where it picks up engine heat.  The heated water exits
the block under pressure at two locations also; the large "L" pipe above the
thermostat is connected to the swirl tank and then to the radiator while the
smaller port sends hot water straight to the heater core.

So, connecting the suction side and pressure side heater core lines allows a
portion of coolant to continually circulate from the water pump to the block
and then straight back to the water pump without ever passing through the
radiator.  That closed loop circulation can be avoided by simply closing
valves ahead of (i.e. - external ball valves) or at the heater core (the
lever on the dash) when additional heat in the cabin is not required.  That
would force all of the heated coolant from the block to pass through the
radiator.

Dave Bell