[DeTomaso] Questions on 4v heads

Rob Dumoulin rob at dumoulins.net
Sun Oct 24 09:51:05 EDT 2010

#1488, has 4v heads and, to my knowledge, has never been rebuilt.  She blows
a minimum amount of oil smoke on some starts.  On the dyno 9 months ago with
stock exhaust, an MSD ignition, and an edelbrock manifold and 650 CFM carb,
she put out 237 HP at the rear wheels.  I have since replaced
headers/exhaust and added port plates.  The car runs OK, but not nearly what
I think it should do.  I have intake port stuffers that I have not put on
yet.  As long as the engine is running OK, I'll be investing my time and
money in other aspects of the restoration, but I would love to get all the
HP I can while I can.

I ran into the guy that did the dyno and tuning 9 months ago, Tony Gonyon in
Orange Park FL, at a car show last night.  #1488 won the club choice award.

http://www.claycountycruzers.com/index.php?option=com_morfeoshow&task=view&gallery=79&Itemid=130

That's me getting the award in pic 138 and #1488 is on pic 93.

Tony stated that I would be better off with 2V heads and a different
manifold so I could get better port velocity. He stated I might be able to
get an other 100 HP with the right heads/intake/carb setup.

Any of you ever heard of Tony?
Do you guys agree with what he said?
Can I get notable improvement installing the port stuffers?
How much more performance can I get from the tired old engine before I
invest in a rebuild?

--
Rob