[DeTomaso] NPC - was Lojack, now Swedish cell phones

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se
Thu Oct 21 16:23:51 EDT 2010

2010-10-21 21:45, Larry Finch skrev:

>   Tomas wrote:
>
> I have a plan that cost about
> $2.50/month, which comes with 3000 free SMS/text messages/month, and the
> GPRS data amounts of about 5¢ per month, for a few 100kbyte.
>
> HUH? Can you really get a monthly cell phone plan for $2.50 a MONTH in Sweden?

Yes, it is a student plan, took some courses in nuclear physics last
year ;-) But even my wifes plan is about $5/month, plus a few ¢ per
minute. 3000 free SMS:es. Her bill last month, including all calls, were
about $10.

> Just a basic, bare bones plan around here is easily $40 monthly, with no texts or data.

I know. My daughter is now in San Luis Obispo, CA, and she got her phone
bill, and it was about $100. That is also one of those $2.50 plans when
she's back in Sweden.

She's bought a cash card US phone to use when she calls people in the
US, but she just had a nightmare experience trying to refill the card at
Best Buy, she now call them Worst Buy :-)

> Tell us more about Swedish cell phone systems and costs.

I believe much of modern cell phone systems have been developed in
Sweden, Ericsson is a huge contributor, and we have had fierce
competition, which has driven the prices down.

One thing that is different is that you never pay to receive a call, it
is always the caller that pays, unless you are out of the country, in
which case you get to pay for the call from Sweden to whatever country
you are in.

We also have different prefixes for the cell phones, you will
immediately see that it is a cell phone you're calling.

I also have a G3 USB modem, with a cash card, that I use when/if my DSL
line is down, or I'm at the folks, and I pay $2.50 a day, for up to
6Mbps, with a cap of 0.5GByte. A week, and 2G is about $12, and a month,
and 5G is about $35.

> Larry

Cheers,
Thomas

--
Real life:   Thomas Törnblom             Email:  Thomas.Tornblom at Hax.SE
Snail mail:  Banvallsvägen 14            Phone:    +46 18 32 31 18