[DeTomaso] msd distributor question

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 9 12:21:51 EDT 2010

<<< I currently have an MSD 8577 small cap distributor. I have all the hardware
I need to set up a dual pick up distributor (like the circle track racers use)
There is a dual pick up distributor for sale on ebay  but it is listed as a 351
W distributor.( ebay  Item number:120629623126)  Will this fit a Cleveland
engine? >>>

Wrong gear!

from the Ford Muscle forum:
351C, 351M, 400, 429 and 460 distributors all interchange. You can  also use a
351W distributor in any one of these engines or vice-versa  as long as you
change the gear, as the gear is different on the 351W.  The 351W uses the
289-302 style gear. This goes for stock points and Duraspark distributors as
well as aftermarket stuff like MSD, Mallory, Accel, etc.

Cheers!
Garth