[DeTomaso] msd distributor question

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Sat Oct 9 13:25:02 EDT 2010

-----Original Message-----

>From boyd casey <boyd411 at gmail.com>; DeTomaso Mail List <detomaso at realbig.com>
Sent: Sat, Oct 9, 2010 9:21 am
Subject: [DeTomaso] msd distributor question

<<< I currently have an MSD 8577 small cap distributor. I have all the hardware I need to set up a dual pick up distributor
(like the circle track racers use)  There is a dual pick up distributor for sale on ebay  but it is listed as a  351 W distributor
.( ebay  Item number:120629623126)  Will this fit a Cleveland  engine? >>>

While changing gears may be possible, note there are two different possible Windsor shaft diameters (0.500 and 0,531)
while the correct Cleveland gear only came in the 0.531" dia (except for Australian versions).
Plus, some Windsor distributor bodies and shafts are as much as an inch taller than an equivalent 351-C distributor,
which can push the sparkplug wires up into the engine screen, where the screen (early type anyway) acts like a bondo-
rasp on the insulation as the engine vibrates. MIsfires follow soon after. So you can buy yourself a fair amount of
 trouble and frustration trying to piece together a Cleveland sized distributor from bits and pieces of Windsors. If I really
 wanted do do such a thing, I'd first call MSD's free Tech Support line in TX and see if it was economically possible.
Good luck- J DeRyke