[DeTomaso] Front Bumpers

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Oct 5 03:40:29 EDT 2010

In a message dated 10/3/10 1:08:56 PM, threemacs at aol.com writes:

> I have a 74 Pantera and I am thinking about switching the front bumper to
> a the style of the older Pantera.
>
>>>It's not as easy as you might think--Pre-L bumperettes won't fit/work
properly, unless you modified them.   The Pre-L cars incorporated the turn
signal into the bumperette, while the later cars had the turn signals in pods
mounted on the underside of the front fenders, and the bumperette was a
simple blade.   So what you need are European L-model chrome bumperettes,
virtually impossible to come by these days.   Some vendors offer them in fiberglass
or carbon fiber, but they're enormously expensive IMHO.

> >I live in Maryland so I will need a front license place holder.?
>
>>>Well, most states require front plates but very few Panteras actually
wear them.   It's easy to 'forget' to mount it, and normally it's not really a
problem.   But if it is, it's not hard to kluge one together.

> >Is there any disadvantage to going to the two smaller front bumpers (I
> believe they look better than the single rubber bumper)
>
>>>The small bumpers are just for looks; while the one-piece bumper has
minor function, any kind of shunt will transmit damage to the body just like
the small ones do.

> >and how would one mount a front license plate?
>
>>>I don't know if the Euro-L bumperettes have mounting holes for a licence
plate bracket, the way the Pre-L bumpers do?

Here's what the USA bracket looks like:

http://www.panterapartsusa.com/cgi-bin/detail.cgi?prod_id=22002B

Wilkinson also shows a Euro-spec bracket in his catalog, although he
doesn't have an image for it.

> >Also quite a while back I saw a diagram for the exact factory placement
> location of the original outside mirrors both left and right, does any one
> know where I can find that diagram?
>
>>>Darrell Mountjoy sent me numerous very detailed photos w/measurements of
the location of the mirrors on his bone-stock '72; Darrell--can you send
those to Nick as well?

Thanks!