[DeTomaso] Can I leave the fuel pump eccentric out if I'm using an electic pump?

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se
Fri May 21 02:08:33 EDT 2010

2010-05-21 01:50, Ken Green skrev:
> It looks like I can just use the cam bolt and a washer, but do I need a big washer that covers the hole in the timing gear that the dowel is in so it can't creep out?

If you're using a Crane steel roller cam, make sure that the bolt clamps
the gear properly.

When I installed my Crane hydraulic roller, without the eccentric, I
noticed that the gear was loose when the bolt bottomed out.

The problem is that Crane doesn't drill out the threads in the cam blank
deep enough to provide clerance for the unthreaded part of the bolt
shank, and had I used the stock Ford bolt and washer, I would probably
not have noticed and would have ended up with a very tightly fastened
bolt, but with a loose gear. The ARP bolt kit has a washer that is just
half the thickness of the Ford part, and the unthreaded part of the
shank is longer.

I ended up using another bolt, with a shorter unthreaded part, and the
Ford washer.

I contacted Crane about the issue, and they said they had made these
cams for 50 years (yeah, right) and there was nothing wrong with them,
even though their cast iron blanks are properly drilled.

Thomas

--
Real life:   Thomas Törnblom             Email:  Thomas.Tornblom at Hax.SE
Snail mail:  Banvallsvägen 14            Phone:    +46 18 32 31 18