[DeTomaso] Vent to tank gas leak

wkooiman at earthlink.net wkooiman at earthlink.net
Wed May 19 18:48:54 EDT 2010

The same thing happened to me.  I removed the old part - drilled out the rivets.  I installed the new part with self-tapping bolts.  It didn't tighten real tight, but I thought it had sealed.

I added gas, and it dumped fuel all over the ground.  It didn't just leak, it dumped.

But, of course.  I just had the expansion valve hooked to a rubber hose and then to the ground.

So... I put a rubber cap on it. The next time I filled it with gas, it dumped gas on the ground again.

Fast forward to last weekend...

The engine is out. The gas tank is out. The rollover valve went bye-bye.  The welder said hello, and now the 1" hole is gone.

The next time I do an expansion valve, I'll hook it to the highest point - like the filler tube.

BTW, before I welded on the tank, it sat empty for at least 6 months.