[DeTomaso] What's a good price for a cleveland motor?

Tony DiGiovanna tonydigi at optonline.net
Tue May 18 20:39:33 EDT 2010

I wish there were one answer, but if you are buying a used or rebuilt engine
from an unknown source, consider what you're going to think it's worth when
you're done installing it and find there's a crack in a cylinder or some
other pain in the ass defect, of which there are many to choose from.

If you're going to take it apart to ensure its all good, then plan to throw
away the rotating assembly.  Any work it needs isn't worth the effort when
you can buy a new scat stroker kit.

Me?  I've bought closed chambered heads for $400, used stock engines from
$50 to $250.  Bought one rebuilt engine from a trusted source for $4k and
had nothing but problems with it.

I get blocks cleaned, align honed, decked, bored, honed, thread chased,
deburred, plugs replaced, etc for $1000.

The heads could be worth $400, if they're good.
The block could be worth $1000 max if its good and ready to go.  If it needs
any work, its worth $250 or less.