[DeTomaso] Tires for track days

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue May 18 14:27:24 EDT 2010

In a message dated 5/18/10 8:41:35 AM, ehpantera at yahoo.com writes:

> I have the brake rotors mounted on outside hats, pushing the wheels out
> a bit. My 285's are pretty close to the fender. If I go to 18" wheels can I
> get more backspace?

Yes- by choosing wheels that have compensating backspace for the extra
1/4"-5/16" from those outside mounted brake discs. Of course, then the front
scrub radius can become significant and steering effort & tire wear goes up....
Be sure to carefully check both sides as many Panteras are asymmetric. What
is ideal on the left side might stick out 1/2" on the right side. Some
aftermarket aluminum wheels have thick enough mounting flanges that a bit can be
machined off the backsides of the flange without seriously weakening them,
but others do not. You may simply have manuvered into a corner where you
CANNOT maximize front tire widths beyond about 245-50 x any wheel diameter.
Good luck- J DeRyke