[DeTomaso] Tires for track days

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Tue May 18 08:21:54 EDT 2010

OK Asa, here you go.

Although, let me start with a warning.  Regardless of the width of the tire,
if the rear suspension on a Pantera is compressed far enough, the inside
sidewall of the tire will scrape against the upper frame rail.  As the wheel
gets wider or the tire is moved inboard, that contact will occur with less
suspension compression.  In view of this, you want to optimize the front
spacing on the wheel to the outside fender lip to minimize the backspace.
As I mentioned before, for aesthetic purposes, I still want to keep the tire
from protruding outside the fender, or actually, body line of the car.

In light of the cost of new wheels and recognizing that our cars are each a
little different, I would encourage a purchaser to measure his own
dimensions rather than rely on the measurements of another's.  For example,
my yellow car has extended upper A-Arms and modified wheelhouse and it's
wheel measurements are less than ideal for another car that I am working on
at this time that strikes me as being stock without visible repairs or
modifications.  As Chuck Engles pointed out to me - if you are not careful,
you simply end up with an expensive set of boat anchors.

The measurements for the rear wheels on the more standard car is  5.5"FS and
6.0 BS seat to seat for an 11.5" wheel.  This wheel is measured seat to
seat.  Measured from the outside lips would be 12.5"

JT