[DeTomaso] Gas tank woes

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon May 17 20:18:56 EDT 2010

In a message dated 5/17/10 11 09 48, rob at dumoulins.net writes:

> '71.  #1488.   Was the fiberglass mod done after manufacture or at the
> factory?
>

>>>Your car almost assuredly had the modification done in the USA as part
of the massive recall effort for the early cars.   I've never seen one that
was screwed up like yours, but I can imagine a scenario where they just
slapped the fiberglass cloth on and then slammed it back into the car, and failed
to notice that it had flopped over the shield before it cured and hardened?

>  >I am fearing that  the fiberglass was wrapped over it on purpose
> to keep the liner from moving.
>
>>>Nah, they'd never do that.   It's a goof.
>
> >The gas line at the top of the tank is steel braided, though it is very
> weathered and in need of cleaning or replacing.
>
>>>Absolutely!   The cheapest, poorest fuel line you can buy today is a
million times better than a 40-year-old fuel line!

Mke