[DeTomaso] UPDATE: NORC Report: Past the Finish Line

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Mon May 17 01:25:51 EDT 2010

Update from the desk of Team Pantera Racing
Dateline --- sometime after the NORC 2010 Banquet ---

Dennis "Mad Dog" Antenucci gave us a call to update some results after
attending the banquet.

First, he gave us information on the other gentlemen who came out and
ran the Pantera. Langdon Claypoole (Driver) and Donald Kavanagh
(Navigator). For their first time ever in an Open Road Race, they placed
third with an average time of 99.9601 in the 100 class. WAY TO GO!

In the 150 class, where the Dog was entered, a Viper took first with an
average time of 149.9944, closely followed by a Corvette Z06 at
149.9906. Dennis knew he'd be slow today but he did average more than he
thought earlier, with a 146.106 (time for all the slacker comments)

I'm told Charlie Friend did 169.9854 in his Corvair entered in the 170
class. No Unlimiteds entered or ran today. It may have been due to
construction on the road. Due to it being incomplete, it caused some
folks to slow down a bit. Still, it should be in great shape and
completely done by September.

Besides the two Panteras and Charlie's Corvair, the only other Vintage
car there was Bob Schilling's 1973 Barracuda. He ran a 166.47 (if my
note here is correct), and Mad Dog wanted me to mention Bill is an
honorary member of Team Pantera Racing.

Our Viking friends, Bjoern & Inger
finished with a 109.95 in the 110 class, not enough for a top three, but
geez how close can you get? (We'll chalk it up to jet-lag from flying in
from Europe -and- too much late night Viking raiding.) Congratulations
to them on a good run.

As Grand Marshal, Dennis got to lead the Parade. He was also honored
with an American Flag and Steve Waldman had some words to say about him
as well. Unfortunately, this reporter wasn't present at the banquet so I
can't really say what else happened.

Prayers for a safe and uneventful run of the 2010 NORC were answered, no
accidents, no injuries and a good time had by all.

Asa Jay

PS. No news on any of the other suspected/reported breakdowns as yet

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
&  Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA