[DeTomaso] Stock 4V Heads

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed May 12 02:10:38 EDT 2010

In a message dated 5/11/10 10 04 12, lashdeep at yahoo.com writes:

> I'm researching options for my future 351C build, so please excuse the
> day dreaming.
>
> The stock 4V heads (early from an early 72) seem to have a lot of
> potential for high rpm power.
>
>>>Yes, but apparently they can be beaten rather easily.

> >My thought is that the switch to aluminum heads is mainly for weight
> savings. Are these weight savings worth the purchase price?
>
>>>I wouldn't do it solely for that reason.   They offer a host of other
advantages though.

> > I understand that some of the modern Aluminum heads offer a more
> balanced design which incorporates a mix of 2v and 4v performance characteristics.
> I'm mainly concerned with top end, 4500rpm + performance, so that isn't
> much value to me.
>
> Are there any other benefits?
>
>>>I've been told that the stock heads are restrictive on the exhaust side.
  Regardless of the specific shape of the ports on the various aftermarket
options, supposedly they offer varying degrees of benefit, i.e. some will
offer equivilant high-rpm performance and superior low-rpm performance.

Probably the best 'retail' head you can get are the CHI 3V model, but they
come with compromises including the need to have an expensive, and tall
intake manifold.   For that reason I chose the CHI 4V heads, which allow the use
of stock-style 4V parts.   I'm happy with my decision; I know I left some
high-end horsepower on the table, but I was more concerned with torque, and a
6500 rpm redline, and aesthetics were important to me too.   I wanted to
keep the stock screen.   I think the CHi 4V heads are superior to the
Edelbrock 2V heads, although they are a fair bit more expensive.

Dan is going to be scribbling much about my engine in the near future--we
spent a full day together at Dave McLain's shop in Cuba, Missouri this past
Saturday, running the snot out of my new engine, with something like 8
different intake manifolds.   The results were enlightening, and heartening to me
as clearly I made the right choice when I bought my Blue Thunder intake back
in 1992 or so. :>)