[DeTomaso] Stock 4V Heads

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Tue May 11 14:13:11 EDT 2010

The stock 4V heads (early from an early 72) seem to have a lot of potential
for high rpm power.

My thought is that the switch to aluminum heads is mainly for weight
savings. Are these weight savings worth the purchase price?

 I understand that some of the modern Aluminum heads offer a more balanced
design which incorporates a mix of 2v and 4v performance characteristics.
I'm mainly concerned with top end, 4500rpm + performance, so that isn't much
value to me.

Are there any other benefits?
****Weight savings is one issue - if you are going to buy new heads, then
perhaps the price difference between iron and aluminum isn't THAT much if
you are only going to be buying new heads once in your lifetime.

The other advantage (repeating what I've heard) is that aluminum heads let
you run higher compression (1 full point) without detonation than iron.
Compression is cheap and reliable hp. Something else to take into
consideration