[DeTomaso] MSD Box failure? ???????

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Sat May 8 22:54:28 EDT 2010

The MSD 6AL (the one I have) is known for crapping out with no warning and
leaving you completely dead. That's one reason the circle track racers (and
some regular drivers) install the dual MSD boxes and dual coils with the MSD
8380 distributor. MSD sells a switch and a plug that allows you too set up
two MSD ignition modules, two coils one 8380 distributor and the wiring to
join everything together. When one of the MSD ignition modules craps out you
just flip the switch and everything switches from the one MSD module to the
other so you switch MSD bow and coil and run from the secondary MSD bow and
coil but you keep the same distributor.When the ignition dies you flip the
switch and everything switches to the redundant system You don't even have
to restart your motor.  I have the complete redundant system but i didn't
know I needed the special dual coil distributor (the 8380) when I bought the
extra MSD 6 al and extra coil and switch so I have everything except the
correct distributor. IThe MSD ignition module is sensitive enough and the
failure rate is high enough that they manufacture this set up. Because I
don't have the correct Distributor I can't just flip a switch but I still
have the spare MSD 6al and spare coil so I can un plug the bad one and plug
in the spare one in a matter of minutes if I have a failure.
Boyd