[DeTomaso] Header Questions

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Fri May 7 20:53:04 EDT 2010

Dear Rob,

            I struggled with a similar mismatch when I attempted to replace
the factory stock headers on my first engine.   When it came time to replace
them with some pre-owned Hall Big Bore headers (? I think), I remembered the
misery of the header and port mismatch.

            I checked with my friendly machinist and local circle track Ford
engine builder.  He said he could align the slightly cattywampus headers.
He proceeded to do so.   I asked him how he did it and IIRC, he mounted them
to a mule 351C cylinder head and proceeded to apply heat and then let it
cool.   I think that is what I understood.

            Whatever secret alchemy he used, the final product lined up
perfectly with my heads and I would think that your headers could be fixed
with a similar technique.   I would go take the headers to the race shop
guy.

                     Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles