[DeTomaso] Header Questions

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri May 7 23:23:07 EDT 2010

In a message dated 5/7/10 15 13 14, rob at dumoulins.net writes:

> I bought a pair of used Hall Pantera headers that have no flange
> connecting
> the tubes at the ports.  The headers have not been on a Pantera in years.
> Trouble is, the gaskets and port plates do not line up to these headers.
> The front two tubes line up perfectly.  The back two are off by at least
> 1/4 inch.  Is it common for unflanged tubes to be off by that much?
>
>>>Sadly, yes.   That's one known flaw of the Hall headers.   The decision
to not use a standardized header flange was a poor one.   It's not uncommon
to have to use prybars, etc. to get the individual flanges to each line up
with their respective holes.   It's hard on the fasteners too.

You have three choices:

1)   Just muscle them into place, knowing that if you ever have to remove
them, you'll have a big job ahead of you.

2)   Muscle them into place (either in the car, or by bolting them to a
spare 351C head), then apply considerable heat to the bends in the pipes,
enough so that they are free to move around.   With the header bolted to a head,
presumably when the pipes get soft, they will move to their happy spots, and
hopefully remain there when they cool down.

3)   Cut the individual flanges off, buy a new pair of header flanges
(easily had from Summit etc.), then weld the pipes to the new, single flanges.
You may want to use the heating/bending trick above in conjunction with a
new flange for optimal alignment.

> >Even if I could easily put them on, they won't line up to the rest of my
> exhaust.
>
>>>What kind of exhaust do you have?   The Hall headers are normally an
excellent fit with respect to the tailpipes, and both stock and Hall tailpipes
will easily bolt right up, and fit.   How sure are you that yours won't?
I'm dubious of your claim.

> > I went to a local muffler shop to see if they could install/mount
> them so I wouldn't have to tee off half the island running straight pipes
> the muffler shop.  He says they won't fit.  A race shop guy said they
> would
> over the phone, but he never saw them.
>
>>>If you had a spare 351C head, that would come in very, very handy right
now.   You might want to phone around to engine shops etc. and see if you
could borrow/rent one for this job.   If you get your headers pointed in the
right direction, off the car, then you wouldn't need to take the car to a
shop at all.