[DeTomaso] Fwd: Event

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Wed May 5 10:14:06 EDT 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: boyd casey <boyd411 at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, May 5, 2010 at 10:13 AM
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Event
To: hemipanter at hemipanter.se

I am really not the best person to separate the facts from the fiction but
here is what I know and some of my opinions.
The cost of entry is high. It varies from year to year depending on the
itinerary. Lats years was one of the less expensive because the cars were
not transported by air. It was a on week run from LA to Miami and the entry
fee was $30,000. Our Pantera member did pay the $30,000 fee but he had
corporate sponsorship. Some of the "Jet set" celebrities paid there own way
but I' am sure many of them received subsidies from corporate sponsors eager
to see their products names associated with such "cool "people.
Some years (like this year) the whole event is transferred across the
Atlantic by jet and picks up again in Toronto (i think) and ends in New
York. The added expense of transporting all of these cars by air is the
reason for the increase in the entry fee. I believe the fee was around
$60,000 in 2008.

In my opinion this whole event is just the idea of some very smart guy who
figured out a way to get this mix of celebrities and jet setters to feed
their already overblown egos and Pay a huge premium for the opportunity.He
is making a fortune to feed the insatiable need of the public to watch
celebrities as they display the daily excesses of their lives. There are no
prizes . There are plenty of big name corporate sponsors and it does get
lots of media attention. Celebrities are big news. It seems a large part of
the public is more interested in which celebrity is having sex with which
other celebrities and various other sordid details of their lives then they
are with "real news" When Anna Nicole Smith died it got more media coverage
then any other story. It dominated the news for weeks. This is just another
sign of the deterioration of western society. But you are right this event
is not about motor sports it is about ostentatious displays of wealth and
waste and the only thing more distasteful they seeing these "celebrities" is
seeing the way the public clamors to get near them and their apparent
insatiable appetite for more gossip and information about these morons and
their meaning less lives.
These are my opinions and they do not include the participation in the 2009
Gumball by our Pantera member. He loves to drive his car and will drive
anywhere no matter what the distance and he was proud to show off a vintage
Pantera and compare it to many cars with price tags in the millions of
dollars and it held it's own in both appearance and performance.

Hugh Boyd Casey