[DeTomaso] "Houston, we have a problem"

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 05:08:28 EDT 2010

Art - I had to do something similar, manually pulling the throttle cable.
But literally in the worst possible moment.

It sounds too crazy to believe, but the throttle cable snapped right where
it attaches to the pedal on my old ´72 Pantera while following Stephane Poux
through Paris. It snapped just as I was entering the massive round-a-bout
thingie with the Arch-de-Triomphe in the middle. I think there are 5 or 6
lanes of suicidal French drivers, and I crossed that while pulling on the
throttle cable with one hand, steering with the other, and trying to peek
over the dashboard since you have to bend down to pull the cable. It was NOT
a good time. But there was literally no other choice.

Stephane was a witness, as I stopped on the other side of the plaza to put
the cable back on, at least temporarily. PI Motorsports fixed it more
permanently when I sent the car to them to sell on consignment...