[DeTomaso] AC Compressor - Which Toyota Celica unit works

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Mon Mar 15 20:15:10 EDT 2010

You might rethink the junk yard compressor idea.

When you consider the time to install - new mounting, probably new
hose ends, etc.

And then you have to buy a new drier, evac the system down (and hope
it holds), charge and hope for the best.

You doing that yourself?  Or paying a shop $75 an hour, plus their
charge for the freon....??

  And you are considering putting an unknown compressor in that mix,
one that might be spewing little rubber seal pieces or even metal
shavings into your system.....

Well, I think you get the idea.

You want a Sanden rotary. Style SD508.  They come with R12 fittings or
134 fittings. R12 # is 8390.

You DO NOT want one of the china-made knockoffs, often sold by the hod
rod shops, and often chromed.

You DO NOT want a rebuilt unit, as they are also a crap shoot.

The adaptor plate for changing from the York piston unit to the Sanden
unit is a common piece. You can usually find it on eBay.  It is not
special in any sense, though you no doubt can buy it from our vendors.

You no doubt can also buy the compressor from our vendors. Do not
accept their knock-off or rebuilt units, either.  Unless they have a
nice year guarantee and will cover all you parts and labor expense if
it fails.  Not likely.

My 2¢

Larry