[DeTomaso] SHE RUNS!!!!

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Mar 15 13:59:31 EDT 2010

In a message dated 3/14/10 5:05:39 PM, teampantera at yahoo.com writes:

> NOTE TO SELF - REPLACE ALL O RING SEALS EXPOSED TO FUEL UNDER HIGH
> PRESSURE.

A good idea if you had fuel weeping or leaking. With two different GM
performance engines & EFI, I pulled the injectors to clean out the little screens
in the ends. I noticed the injector o-rings on the manifold end were not
leaking but were deformed- apparently by intake heat- while the topmost ones
up in the fuel rail looked fine. So not having spares of those on hand and
realizing both o-rings were the same, I reversed the o-rings - fuel-rail rings
into the intake & vice-versa- and went on about my tune-up. 5 years later,
they're still looking good and no leaks.
Reverse-flushing the screens is easy- you hook the injector up to a 12v
battery, submerge it in gas and let it run a few seconds to see which way the
flow is. If its out the bottom (normal), reverse your patch-cord polarities-
and gas will flow backward, flushing trapped particles out of the fine
screen on top. The amount of gas used is only a few ounces but still be careful-
it can ignite from a spark if 12v connections are sloppy. And by holding the
injector up with 'normal' connection (outdoors), you can check the spray
pattern to find those that are partially varnished, and reclean those. Good
luck- J Deryke