[DeTomaso] PI Motorsport Rims and my calipers

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Mar 9 01:02:18 EST 2010

In a message dated 3/8/10 5:14:14 PM, rob at dumoulins.net writes:

> Pics of the rim, hub, and rotor are the bottom two pics on the page (page
> 1)
>
> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3341642/1
>

>>>Those are nice-looking wheels, and they might actually work on a Pantera
that has aftermarket brakes where the rotors slide over the studs and space
the wheel out away from the hub (an idea I'm not fond of).   But with stock
brakes like yours, where the hat of the rotor sits on the inside of the
hub, the wheel then sits against the hub, and as you can see, they clearly
don't fit properly.

I'm not fond of wheels that don't center on the hub, and these are centered
solely by the lug nuts, which doesn't work nearly as well as you might
think.

Personally, I wouldn't keep them.   It's a shame, because they're
nice-looking wheels.   They just aren't made to fit a Pantera. :<(

Did you buy them used?   Are they Kinesis?   I ask because Kinesis sells
wheels that look just like this that actually do fit properly; several of the
vendors carry them (Dennis Quella, Larry Stock come to mind) and PI might be
a Kinesis dealer too?

In any case, I'd be having a rather pointed conversation with PI over this.