[DeTomaso] FW: Powder coating Campy Clones - =?windows

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Mar 7 15:00:51 EST 2010

In a message dated 3/7/10 5:58:20 AM, lotus0005 at hotmail.com writes:

> Why not on wheels?  John Taphorn and I are looking at wheels for my car
> right now (Fikse - Classic - Mach V - black color), and John has run in to a
> couple of problems.

I mentioned this because all wheels-of any material- flex a little in
cornering. Unless there's a flex-agent added to paint (especially thick paint as
in powder coating, eventual cracking of the coating can occur. Most flex
agents won't survive the 350-400F degrees of powder-paint cure- they boil off
during the cure process so no one I know uses the stuff. If you drive easy,
powder paint should last a long time. If you drive as the car was intended,
powder-paint life may be short. I've seen some chipped powder paint on
wheels- for whatever reason. Good luck- J DeRyke