[DeTomaso] FW: Powder coating Campy Clones - Re:  Weld Wheels

Bill Lewis lotus0005 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 7 08:56:04 EST 2010

Why not on wheels?  John Taphorn and I are looking at
  wheels for my car right now (Fikse - Classic - Mach V - black color), and John
  has run in to a couple of problems.   Thanks, Bill

> From: JDeRyke at aol.com
> Date: Sat, 6 Mar
  2010 16:34:07 -0500
> To: red3644 at hotmail.com; detomaso at realbig.com
  Re: [DeTomaso] Powder coating Campy Clones - Re:  Weld Wheels

> In a message dated 3/5/10 12:50:05 PM, red3644 at hotmail.com
  writes:

> > My experience with powdercoating on items like
  wheels and control arms is
> > that it's tougher than paint in some
  ways but weaker in others.
> > Powdercoating is resistant to
  staining and chemicals but it seems it can take a hit
> > as
  well...more brittle it seems when smacked with a piece of
  gravel.

> Bikers use Dupont Imron two-part
  polyurethane paint on their exposed frame
> rails for exactly this
  reason. Other high-impact users are ocean fishing
> boats and
  airplanes. Problem with Imron is, you need a really good respirator

  to spray it safely, and its only offered in a limited number of colors. I

> think its sale is banned in nanny-state CA. But on a properly cleaned
  piece of
> metal or fiberglas, only grit-blasting removes Imron- and
  even that takes
> some effort! Its reputation as 'bullet-proof' is well
  earned- I wouldn't use
> it on wheels but on a-arms etc it should work
  fine. FWIW- J DeRyke

> Detomaso
  Forum Managed by POCA

  http://www.realbig.com/detomaso/

> DeTomaso mailing
  list

  Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft’s powerful SPAM protection. Sign up
  now.