[DeTomaso] Powder coating Campy Clones - Re:  Weld Wheels

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Mar 6 16:34:07 EST 2010

In a message dated 3/5/10 12:50:05 PM, red3644 at hotmail.com writes:

> My experience with powdercoating on items like wheels and control arms is
> that it's tougher than paint in some ways but weaker in others.
> Powdercoating is resistant to staining and chemicals but it seems it can take a hit
> as well...more brittle it seems when smacked with a piece of gravel.

Bikers use Dupont Imron two-part polyurethane paint on their exposed frame
rails for exactly this reason. Other high-impact users are ocean fishing
boats and airplanes. Problem with Imron is, you need a really good respirator
to spray it safely, and its only offered in a limited number of colors. I
think its sale is banned in nanny-state CA. But on a properly cleaned piece of
metal or fiberglas, only grit-blasting removes Imron- and even that takes
some effort! Its reputation as 'bullet-proof' is well earned- I wouldn't use
it on wheels but on a-arms etc it should work fine. FWIW- J DeRyke