[DeTomaso] The latest barn find here in the UK

detomasoregistry at gmail.com detomasoregistry at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 13:32:03 EST 2010

Driving a RHD car in the USA is no problem.  I have been doing it for several years.
Only did the fast-food drive thru once, just to screw with them...but I have crossed the
Golden Gate bridge at least 3 times and it was not a problem.
Well I must say that each time the car ahead paid my toll, but then I paid for the guy
behind me.
It is a true roadster and with a windscreen that wraps tightly around the driver's head I
have to believe that a RHD hardtop street car would be MUCH easier.

Now picking up the kid at school is another story.  I rolled into the pick-up lane and the
"my-self-appointed-job of nanny-king", I-tell-you-how-to-run-your-life safety warden
(crossing guard) had a fit as I popped the panel covering the "passenger seat" and my son
wiggled his butt down into position and pulled on the harness and period-correct leather
'helmet' and goggles.

(It is a '56 LeMans D-type racer.  Rules dictated a passenger 'space', which during the
race actually held the tools & spares.  So there is no passenger windscreen, the
passenger is out there like a motorcycle sidecar.)

Luckily the open headers were on her side (left side) and I could not hear a word of her
tantrum... because I had to keep the revs up... (to drown her out - grin).

What is a challenge for a RHD car here in the states is passing.  The car is way out in
the left lane before the driver can see around the car ahead.

Chuck