[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 71, Issue 24

Denny Finn dennyfinn at molalla.net
Thu Jun 24 14:59:32 EDT 2010

------------------------------

Message: 21
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 15:03:08 -0400
From: fresnofinches at aol.com
Subject: [DeTomaso] Clutch Help
To: detomaso at realbig.com

 Tom,

Not knowing the source of your new MC, bear in mind at least one owner has
recently found the quality of the new 'factory replacement' units to be...

well, not good.  :-(

Larry

 FYI to the forum members;

I too had trouble with one of the new 'factory replacement' clutch master
cylinders I purchased before the fun rally.

It started out with the reservoir leaking and bubbling up the silver powder
coat.  When I removed it, I found the snap ring had come out of it's groove
and the rubber boot at the rear full of hydraulic fluid.

I compared the new with my original and found that the groove for the snap
ring is not machined as deep in the new compared to the old. I could remove
the snap ring with bare fingers on the new & not on the original. The snap
ring all most disappears into the groove on the old one and is still very
visible on the new when in place.

I ended up pulling the guts out of the new one & installing in my original &
using my original reservoir.

Denny Finn #1769