[DeTomaso] 5K Pantera

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 20:43:13 EDT 2010

You hit the nail on the head. A Pantera with a bunch of obvious issues
(including the worst GTs conversion in history) with no ZF and a $5000 price
tag. $1200 to get it back to new york =$6200 A new ZF $5000 to $8000=
$11,200 to $14,200  repair crappy body work and repaint $5000 to ??? $15,000
( if there are rust issues, he already said there was damage to the radiator
mounts) $19,200 to $29,200. He doesn't know if the engine runs so after
spending enough to get yourself into the $20,000 + range you don't even know
if the engine runs. How much engine do you want $5000 or $15,000 He also
said it had aftermarket seats (no picture) replaced gauges (not Veglia) this
is not necessarily bad but who knows? The wheels definitely have to go so
new wheels and tires is easily $4500 - $5500. When you add it all up I think
I would rather buy something without as many unanswered questions. In this
economy there are allot of cars that are complete and very nice for what I
think are extremely reasonable prices. Every car or motorcycle that I have
ever bought that was a basket case has cost me more to finish then if I had
purchased a nice car or MC that someone had either already resurrected or
had never deteriorated to the point that it needed to be restored.  I have
never known anybody that bought a car that needed a complete restoration and
made money when the job was done. So unless you are a  person that just
loves the challenges of a project car I think there are "better deals " out
there even though on the surface this looks like a deal.
Boyd