[DeTomaso] Texas

wkooiman at earthlink.net wkooiman at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 14 18:27:02 EDT 2010

It happened last year.  I don't think anyone thought he was serious.

Here's one account of the incident:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/15/gov-rick-perry-texas-coul_n_187490.html

Perry was addressing a group of tea-party supporters.  They were shouting "Secede!", and...

Perry called his supporters patriots. Later, answering news reporters' questions, Perry suggested Texans might at some point get so fed up they would want to secede from the union, though he said he sees no reason why Texas should do that.

"There's a lot of different scenarios," Perry said. "We've got a great union. There's absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what might come out of that. But Texas is a very unique place, and we're a pretty independent lot to boot."

If I recall correctly, he later clarified his secession comment and tried to put a different spin on it.  That was over a year ago, though, and I have a hard enough time remembering past a week or two.