[DeTomaso] water pump mounting hole repair

Gray Gregory rgg at gregorycook.com
Thu Jun 3 20:42:38 EDT 2010

Doug,

 I would definitely drill and tap the insert before I put it in the block. my guess is a 1/4-20 insert probably has 3/8-16 thread and will screw right into your block. you can thread the insert into a 3/8 nut, put it in a drill press vice and drill it out, then thread. I would also just go with a plain old threaded insert for this not any kind of locking type. once you verify it will thread into the block and the 5/16 bolt will thread into it just use lock-tight or even jb weld to hold it. remember we're not talking about a head bolt or anything that requires big torque, it's just a waterpump bolt it just needs to be good and snug.

good luck,

Gray