[DeTomaso] Entertaining TV on Sat (no DeTomaso0

wkooiman at earthlink.net wkooiman at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 15 02:43:22 EDT 2010

That's not what I think of when someone says they de-tuned a car.

Yes, I know you tune a suspension, just like you tune an engine.  So, naturally you can de-tune the suspension just like you can de-tune the engine.  But when they say they had to de-tune the Charger because otherwise it would "flat run away" from the Mustang, most people think they're talking about de-tuning the engine.  If they had said, "out corner", I would think suspension.

Besides, we're talking about a movie.  They weren't trying to make the cars as equal as possible.  They were trying to make the movie as exciting as possible.  Cars sliding all over the place is more exciting.

All I'm saying is a bone stock 440 Charger is not fast.  It sounds and looks really cool, but that's about it.  Maybe my sister's boyfriend had a turd, but I don't think so.  We didn't do a lot of dyno tuning in those days, but we knew enough about engines to get the basics right.

I don't have any first hand 390 Mustang experiences.  I've known some guys that had them, but without a direct frame of reference, I can only guess that a 390 Mustang, in a straight line, should be about as fast as a 440 Charger.  That's not what I heard from the film makers.  They made it sound like a 440 Charger is a rocket and a 390 Mustang is a turd.

By the way, my sister's boyfriend traded the Charger for a 69 AMX.  That car was amazing - sweet looking and very fast.  Also very stock.  It made quite an impression on me, a 16 year old at the time.  I still want one today.

He traded the AMX on a 78 Mustang Mach 1 - the one that looks like a Pinto.  We wanted to kick his butt.

Later, he joined the Army and bought another 69 Charger.  I guess that one was his favorite.