[DeTomaso] Exhaust coating questions?

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Tue Jul 13 22:39:51 EDT 2010

Dear Steve,

         I had a new set of PPC GTS headers and exhaust coated by a local
company HPC, High Performance Coatings in 1991.   They were coated inside
and out with aluminized ceramic coating.  It lasted about twenty years.  The
engine bay temps did noticeably drop.   They did dull the original shiny
appearance, but I never did any bling maintenance on them.  About twenty
years later while doing an engine rebuild I noticed a couple of spots where
the coating had failed.  HPC begrudgingly honored there original "lifetime"
coating guarantee.  Beautiful shiny headers once again dulled a bit with use
in short order.

        The other Pantera had nasty ol' pre owned, seasoned headers and
exhaust treated by a different company, Performance Coatings in 2000.
Included in their price was sandblasting and inside and outside coating with
aluminized ceramic.  Their product looked just as shiny as HPC and suffered
the same dulling of the shine, but performs the same.

        In my inspection of both jobs, the inside of the headers appeared to
be well coated.

        I would not recommend powder coating the headers.

        Neither coating chipped.  The GTS set ultimately chipped where my
1991 mechanic used a BFH for a little clearance with the engine mounts.
After twenty years there was a small spontaneous failure and chipping on the
other bank of the headers.  No flaking or failure near the maximum heat at
the exhaust ports.

       Nationally, I understand that Jet Hot does a good job.

                 Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles