[DeTomaso] Clutch problem solved?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jul 1 02:52:56 EDT 2010

In a message dated 6/30/10 7:44:22 PM, tmshinro at aol.com writes:

> I'm still curious why I can't get the stock clearance of 0.030" but then
> again, I don't know if I ever had it to start with.

Tom, your Pantera should be late enough to have the effort-reduction
linkage under the dash. There are multiple links and pivot rods, all running steel
to steel with no lubrication ever. If you can get your head down under the
dash and have a friend push the clutch pedal, you'll likely see lots of slop
in some of the links.
Replacement parts were never available, but its possible to progressively
remove sloppy links and pivots, and either weld up the link holes & rebore,
make replacements or add bushings. If its the pivot shafts that are worn,
just make new ones of harder steel; I used pieces of Chevy pushrods. There are
diagrams and exploded views of the various parts in the Tech Service
Bulletin pages that show what you're dealing with. DEpending on how bad your setup
is, this might rescue some of that lost motion. FWIW, 0.040" at the flywheel
is a 'new-everything' disengaged clutch measurement. Good luck- J Deryke