[DeTomaso] Need valve cover spacers for stud girdles?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Jan 29 02:47:30 EST 2010

In a message dated 1/28/10 9:12:04 PM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> It appears that I need to use about 1 inch valve cover spacers to make
> generic finned aluminum valve covers fit over stud girdles.  The breather
> inserted into the valve cover appears to be the long pole in the tent, and it
> looks like there is no way to leave the baffle in the valve cover under the
> breather?
>
> Does this seem right?

Some stud girdles will fit inside some cast-aluminum rocker covers; I've
been running Ridgeway girdles with no spacers for over 15 years, with a stock
external breather and stock PCV valve. JoMar stud girdles also clear. It's
really close but a stock breather will twist in. If one uses full roller
rockers, the internal sheet metal baffles in the covers will not fit, but again,
not running them has caused no problems for me. The covers I've tried are
the common   'DeTomaso' logo ones and the factory 351-Boss or HO cast covers.
The most common spacers used are two regular rocker-cover gaskets glued
together on each side, but I've not needed them.
Be careful what you order- Ridgeway also makes a Grand National stud girdle
for NASCAR and pro dirt track, and that monster needs a sheet metal rocker
cover to fit! But their non-pro-racing girdle fits our street stuff fine.
PAW in So-Cal carries it, and they include their own version of full-roller
rocker stud-nuts. Other mfgrs nuts will not fit. Good luck- J DeRyke