[DeTomaso] ZF shift effort

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Jan 10 19:31:31 EST 2010

In a message dated 1/10/10 16 20 6, tmshinro at aol.com writes:

> I couldn't tell you what is different (if anything) because I don't get to
> see many other Panteras here in Iowa.  That is why I was very interested
> in having Mike drive my car and give my his impressions.   The only work I
> have had done to the ZF since I had it was to have the side plate gaskets
> replaced by Cory.   It's funny in that when I picked up my car after the
> work, Cory pointed out that the shift linkage bushing where the rod goes into
> the shift housing was worn (he grabbed the shift rod and was able to move it
> slightly up and down) but he said since the car shifts so well, he didn't
> see any reason to mess with it at the time.
>
>>>The new trunnion you had fitted I think is responsible for much of the
difference.

> >I'm embarrassed to say that is has been around 8 years since I changed
> the gear oil, but I don't put many miles on it.
>
>>>It probably wouldn't hurt to change it now. :>)
>
> >Mike didn't mention that I sawed off the shift gate fingers right after I
> got the car when I read that it would improve the shift effort in an old
> PI magazine.  The fingers were worn and the shift lever was heavily
> notched.  I replaced the shift lever and bought a new gate but didn't put the gate
> on for fear of scratching the new lever and making more work of shifting.
>
>>>That old saw (if you'll forgive the pun) is true, only in the sense that
if your shift linkage is incorrectly adjusted, as yours was, so that the
shift lever is dragging on the fingers of the gate, then yes, removing the
fingers improves the shift effort quite a bit.   But I vastly prefer to just
adjust the linkage properly so that it doesn't touch the fingers.   It's a bit
of a black art, more easily accomplished with two people, but it can be
done, and the results are worth it. :>)