[DeTomaso] ZF m1 gear box

David Nunn dnunn at telus.net
Sun Jan 10 02:08:37 EST 2010

> >The question, pehaps not worded eloquently on my part was whether a
> potential Pantera use of the M1 ZF would dictate drilling the oil ways as
> the Pantera uses it upside down to the M1 & GT40.
>
>>>Good question--I don't know what modifications would be required to flip
>a gearbox back again--I think it may have been done, but can't remember
>offhand who has put a BMW gearbox into a Pantera.

I put a BMW M1 ZF transaxle into my Pantera a few years ago. As previously
discussed, the M1 ZF has a reinforced case. It also has a different input
shaft, different gear ratios, a different end plate, different bottom plate,
CV drive flanges and a couple of other minor differences. Lucky for me,
Lloyd Butfoy had a GT40 owner show up with a brand new -2 ZF from a Pantera
at the same time Lloyd was "flipping" my M1 ZF. The GT40 owner and I swapped
end and bottom plates and saved each other a big expense. I kept my M1 input
shaft and CV output flanges. I had Lloyd install a 3.77:1 R&P which had the
effect of making the overall ratios in the first three gears roughly the
same as a Pantera -2 ZF, with 4th and 5th now being taller. Since my M1 ZF
was new, Lloyd gave me full credit for my 4.22:1 R&P. With the M1 ZF, I had
to convert to CV jointed drive shafts and a hydraulic T/O bearing. Also, my
clutch discs have to be special ordered because I need the BMW spline rather
than the regular -2 ZF spline.