[DeTomaso] ZF m1 gear box

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Sun Jan 10 02:14:45 EST 2010

In a message dated 1/9/10 5:37:29 PM, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> How  can you identify an M1 zf gear box case ? Are there any clearly
> identifiable differences or a different serial # range?

Two externally: the easiest is the large cast plate on top of the
differential case, above the ring & pinion. The second is the CV-joint stub-axle
flanges.
Internally, virtually everything is supposed to be slightly scaled up :
bigger shafts, larger bearings, different trans ratios etc, so almost nothing
interchanges with our earlier units, and they are still 5-speeds. I've never
seen one torn down. But somehow ZF made all this fit in the same
external-dimension cases so they are a bolt-in to Panteras (assuming you can deal with
CV-joint halfshafts or adaptions thereof) and are rumoured to be about 20%
stronger. Road racers refer to them as 'super-ZFs'. But 8000 euros + shipping
is a fair chunk of change..... Good luck- J Deryke