[DeTomaso] NPC: Traffic fatalities in Sweden 2009

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se
Mon Jan 4 14:02:01 EST 2010

michael at michaelshortt.com skrev:
> Just curious Thomas,
>
> How old do you have to be to get a driver's license?

18 for a car license.

> How much does one cost?

Oh, that depends. The training has been improved a lot since the time I
got mine. I got a motorcycle license when I was 16, and had been driving
a moped (illegally) for several years. I took the theory and three
driving lessons, of which the last was a a pre-test to make sure I was
ready. When I got my car license I had four driving lessons, of which
the last was a pre-test.

When my kids took their licenses a few years back I believe they
probably had around 20 lessons each, and both the trainer and trainee
has to have training to be allowed private driving lessons.

> Is driver's Training required? at what cost?

It appears that an average cost for a license is now about US$ 2k, of
which around 500 are mandatory fees.

> Is it against the law to talk on a cell phone or text while driving?

No.

There was recently a high profile court case where a bus driver had been
cruising at about 120 kph while texting and he was sentenced in the
first court, but it was later overruled.

> How much is a speeding ticket for a standard fine , say 20% over the
> posted limit?

On roads with a limit over 50 kph:
1-10 kph over about $200
41-50 kph over about $550

> How many tickets can you get before the license is gone?

It depends. You can lose it on the first offense, otherwise I believe it
usually is three within a few years.

> What is the standard fine/jail for a DUI/DWI ( drinking or drugs while
> driving )

Fines or jail up to 6 months for lesser offenses, salary based fines or
jail up to two years for severe offenses, which can be even stiffer if
you cause an accident. You can lose your license for up to 5 years.

> What happens if you are caught driving without insurance?

You can not have a registered car without insurance. There is an
organization that insures any registered vehicle without known
insurance, they bill you more than the most expensive insurance
available from a normal company.

> What about being caught driving without a license?

You will be fined based on your salary, and for repeat offenses the
fines rises steeply.

> I'd bet the differences are found here, our politicians are wearing
> panties or they would come down harder on
>
> immigrants who drive without a license, without insurance or in many
> cases, in an unregistered unsafe POS car/truck.
>
> Let drunks drive ( I'll say that everybody might be due one mistake,
> anything more is a sign of not only a problem, but somebody too stupid
> to be on the road )
>
> It has been proven that Cell Phone use and Texting is worse than
> drinking, how many of us drive up on some moron dialing, or talking
> doing 20 mph less than the flow of traffic?
>
> I also think that there are those of us, who should be able to drive
> faster, call it a super license, etc. whatever, if you can prove that
> you know your ass from a hole in the ground and can handle a car properly,
> because for many cities, towns, speeding/fine isn't a safety issue at
> all, it's revenue enhancement.
>
> Michael Shortt

Cheers,
Thomas

--
Real life:   Thomas Törnblom             Email:  Thomas.Tornblom at Hax.SE
Snail mail:  Banvallsvägen 14            Phone:    +46 18 444 33 21