[DeTomaso] East meets West

Mad Dog Antenucci teampantera at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 4 14:01:06 EST 2010

I'm glad you mentioned that.. . . I haven't got to spend any time on the right coast in the Pantera driving New England and the Eastern seaboard but I will someday.

But I have driven the Pantera all over the American and Canadian Rockies into Banff in British Collumbia through the Cascade and Olympic Mountain mountain ranges  in Washington State and up and down the Sierra Mountains, the Pacific Coast Highway and down across the Southwest to Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Texas and Mexico.

Racing in Mexico where Dick Drenske told me afterwords that while I was at the start line of the La Bufadara Hill Climb on one day or the La Carrera Road Race the next day Mexican's  came up and prayed over the Pantera with their hands on the Pantera...Maybe praying I would drive off a cliff.......... but never-the-less they were praying. ;-)

Being able drive to and FROM open track and open road race events on 2 lane roads at speeds of up to 180 MPH with a street-legal vintage automobile where many times the ONLY vintage automobile registered was a Pantera was a feeling that I could talk or write about forever. Better yet was all the times we have started and finished 2 to14 Pantera's at an open road race when no other marque could pull together more then one vintage Mustang and all most never a  vintage Corvette, Porsche, Ferrari's, etc. . .It is ALL about the Pantera and all the friends who have supported me.

I have yet to drive or race anywhere from Canada to Mexico where other driver's did not come up before and after we drove to and from *ANYWHERE* where people did not come up and admire the Pantera and do the "Oh my God" thing and that was *BEFORE*  I added the 8 individual fuel injection throttle bodies and the 180 degree bundle of snakes.

And finally in 25 years of driving and racing the Pantera I have only had 3 things break where I could not drive the Pantera home.....(a dist sheer pin broke once,  a  water pump belt broke once and one stroker engine grenaded once and those 3 things were all DNF's in competition at well beyond 150 MPH speeds at WOT.....I don't count the fire in '99 because I still crossed the Silver State finish line at 175 mph... and ONE  year to the day  later the Pantera was back at the same road race! People could not believe it! ;-)

If I had this kind of PASSION in my love life someone would write a book about it.....now that i think about it the Pantera IS my love life. ;-)

Mad Dawg Antenucci
Team Pantera Racing
"No One Gets Out Alive"
www.teampanteraracing.com