[DeTomaso] supercharger questions

wkooiman at earthlink.net wkooiman at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 3 20:26:47 EST 2010

I used to think about supercharging or turbocharging a Pantera, but then I figured, what's the use?  You can get 600HP fairly easily from a 351C/351W/stroker - without the hassles of forced induction - without the hassles of an ECU and without the hassles of a Ford to Chevy swap.

I can definitely see the appeal of doing a supercharger, turbocharger, or engine swap, but not for the HP.  For example, putting a Hemi in a Pantera is just plain cool, and so are twin turbos or a Whipple.

If you are thinking about doing a Whipple for high HP and reliability - without hassles - think again.  You're signing up for a lot of headaches with just the Ford to Chevy swap.  By the time you're through, you could have easily installed a crate engine and gotten all the HP you need.

By the way, my car is "on the mend" right now.  I split a cylinder and threw a rod.  I don't know how much HP I was making, but it would easily light up the tires.  It made way more HP than you can use on the street.  That's with a 377 stroker.  I'm not sure why it split the cylinder.  It may have thrown the rod first.  I expected the pull the engine this weekend, but I had some personal issues come up.  My point is you can make all the HP you can use with 351C technology - but not necessarily with a 30 year old block.