[DeTomaso] supercharger questions

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Sun Jan 3 15:29:08 EST 2010

In a message dated 1/3/10 9:57:57 AM, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> Do you think a Whipple twin screw supercharger with an intercooler is a
> better choice or a Centrifugal supercharger ( like a Paxton or a Vortech )

Depends on the engine and what you plan to do with it. First, I would NOT
supercharge any 351-C that's been overbored unless you have a sonic-test in
hand that shows over 0.100" cylinder wall thickness everywhere AFTER such
boring. Thin walls flex with combustion pressures, blown engine combustion
pressures are significantly higher and cast iron doesn't flex very long. So I'd
suggest a different engine. Second, actually driving most blowers in a
Pantera is difficult due to not enough space for a proper width drive belt,
unless the engine is shifted backward. Shift the engine first before buying any
blower. Next, most blower kits are made for drag racing and don't work well
for long-haul use. Depends on your plans for the car. Budget about $7000 for
such a kit and have an extra block or two around; blower-savvy engine
bulders say your experience with superchargers is in direct proportion to the
number of ruined blocks out back...All it takes is one (1.0) backfire to take
out most systems so a really good ignition and fuel system is much more
important than higher boost. There's a reason most factory systems only push about
5-8 psi. Finally, whipplechargers are well known for pushing more air more
efficiently than other designs, without the lag built into centrifugal
blowers. A well-designed intercooler (few really are, by the way) is worth a few
more psi in boost at the cost of extra wt, complication in mounting in a
Pantera and $$$, plus more damage if the engine pops. You can't practically run
an air-cooled intercooler with most mid-engined configurations so a
watercooled assembly makes more sense. Good luck- J DeRyke (who owns two
factory-blown vehicles- one intercooled. Fun for mountain driving.)