[DeTomaso] ZF To Chassis Ground Necessary?

Orville Orville at Rubyglass.com
Sat Feb 27 00:34:42 EST 2010

Art,
The current carrying capacity of electrical conductors has a direct
relationship to the cross-sectional area and conductivity of the material.
The ZF has a very large cross-sectional area and is made of an aluminum
alloy which is a good conductor. The ZF case and bell-housing probably has a
lower resistance per unit length than the braided strap to the chassis
ground due to the cross-sectional areas. Since the starter is directly
bolted to the front of the ZF bell-housing, you probably would not see a
discernable reduction in resistance between running a ground from the rear
to the ZF or from a more forward point to the ZF/starter interface.
That being said, I am planning on moving the welded stud from near the rear
of the ZF to a more forward point as the current stud location interferes
with the placement of my "Johnny Woods" work platform. I am also planning on
using welding cable which has a larger cross-sectional area than the braided
flat cable currently in place.

Orville