[DeTomaso] how best to treat bare metal.

Denny Finn dennyfinn at molalla.net
Thu Feb 4 14:52:15 EST 2010

Message: 11

Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 17:32:32 -0800

From: Julian Kift <julian_kift at hotmail.com>

Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] How best to treat bare metal

To: <mbefthomas at comcast.net>, De Tomaso List <detomaso at realbig.com>

I picked up one of Jonny's valances when in the UK back in 2006ish, it sat
in my garage in a bin liner and sprayed with WD40 for a couple years until I
got around to putting it on, as good as the day I collected it, but then
again I don't live in Seattle.......

Mike,

You DO NOT want to put WD40 on your bare metal (any thing that you plan on
painting) WD-40 & ArmorAll are a painters worst nightmare. They cause fish
eyes, they are a contaminant to paint.

I have been to your house & the panel should be fine stuck in your attic or
stored in your garage.

 We would sand it with some 150 grit on a DA sander & then spray it with
epoxy primer. This would need to be done before it is welded in anyway. So
you can do it now or later.

When it is installed the weld areas will need to be cleaned & on the back
side of the new panel sprayed with a weldable primer. As Goran has said you
can spray it with an etching primer also. But we spray all of our
restorations bare metal areas with epoxy primer. We have 15-25 going at a
time for the past 18 years and I have not had any problems. This was the
same way we did the restorations on many Porsches, Mini Coopers, a 71
Ferrari Daytona, 74 Dino & a Gull Wing Mercedes at a shop I worked at
previously. I saw the Dino 12 years later at the historic races & it still
looked new. It was in the car corral not racing.

I hope this helps, Denny #1769

Finns Auto Restoration & Custom

104 W. Main St

Molalla Oregon, 97038

www.finnsautorestoration.com <http://www.finnsautorestoration.com/>

> From: mbefthomas at comcast.net

> To: detomaso at realbig.com

> Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 17:20:32 -0800

> Subject: [DeTomaso] How best to treat bare metal

> I've recently purchased a new front valence from Johnny Woods in England.

> Beautiful piece, and very well done.

> I wanted to ask, since It's likely to be a while before I get it put on
the